Experience with Theos on iOS 7


What a break!

Now I’ve finally gotten it to work!

OK. I did some tweaking on Khmer keyboards and Khmer fonts created by 4khmeriPhone’s team. I’ve learned how their Khmer font rendering works on iOS, and now I can change the fonts to my liking. I still haven’t figured out everything yet, but it works fairly well for now.

Only there’s one problem. There’s a problem between the keyboard and my modified fonts: the vowel “ឿ”. When the key is pressed, instead of showing “ឿ” as it’s supposed to, it shows “ឿេ” (េ​ is in between) instead. I’ve found a temporary fix for now by adding the correct “ឿ” to the pop-up key of “ៀ”.

Still, I wanna learn more how to make the keyboard, so I googled for it. No useful resource. I tried searching how to de-compile (thus allowing me to edit the source code) dylib files, but to no avail. I’ve e-mailed to the developers of keyboards for their source codes, including 4khi, but I haven’t gotten any answers as of now. Maybe they’re just ignoring me. I tried searching for keyboard source code, but I only got the iOS 5 version of keyboard source code. I still don’t know if it’s gonna be compatible with iOS 7.

So, to make sure it’s what I’m looking for, first I have to compile it and test it on iOS 7. And then the nightmare comes. I’ve had lots of problems trying to get Theos to work on my device.

I started here:

http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/Theos/Getting_Started

Got “Illegal Instruction 4” error

I couldn’t run “$THEOS/bin/nic.pl”

Did some more googling. Applied this code via WinSCP to terminal:

sed -i” ‘s/\x00\x30\x93\xe4/\x00\x30\x93\xe5/g;s/\x00\x30\xd3\xe4/\x00\x30\xd3\xe5/g;’ old_ios_binary
ldid -s old_ios_binary

Running “$THEOS/bin/nic.pl” worked, but:

Got “SDK missing” error

I had to run “installsdk3” (took me a while to find this).

Got another “Illegal Instruction 4” error when compiling tweak

Did some more research. In fact, I need to install a patched version of iphone-gcc since it doesn’t work well with iOS 7:

iphone-gcc_4.2-20080604-1-8p_iphoneos-arm.deb from https://code.google.com/p/apiexplorer/downloads/list

(note to self: need to reboot twice for the package to work)

It’s working fine now…

Interesting sources:

http://www.iapphacks.com/tutorials-f8/mobile-substrate-and-its-dynamic-libraries-t8079-100.html

https://sites.google.com/site/theostutorials/home

One thought on “Experience with Theos on iOS 7

ឆ្លើយ​តប

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

ឡូហ្កូ WordPress.com

អ្នក​កំពុង​បញ្ចេញ​មតិ​ដោយ​ប្រើ​គណនី WordPress.com របស់​អ្នក​។ Log Out / ផ្លាស់ប្តូរ )

រូប Twitter

អ្នក​កំពុង​បញ្ចេញ​មតិ​ដោយ​ប្រើ​គណនី Twitter របស់​អ្នក​។ Log Out / ផ្លាស់ប្តូរ )

រូបថត Facebook

អ្នក​កំពុង​បញ្ចេញ​មតិ​ដោយ​ប្រើ​គណនី Facebook របស់​អ្នក​។ Log Out / ផ្លាស់ប្តូរ )

Google+ photo

អ្នក​កំពុង​បញ្ចេញ​មតិ​ដោយ​ប្រើ​គណនី Google+ របស់​អ្នក​។ Log Out / ផ្លាស់ប្តូរ )

កំពុង​ភ្ជាប់​ទៅ​កាន់ %s