What is this?
This is a guide for people who wants to begin developing for jailbroken iOS, or in other words, making tweaks. This is just a short introduction; it will not cover all the details, but it will, hopefully, provide you with enough insight as to where to start.
Who is this for?
This is for people who are earnest, patient, curious and who really want to learn jailbroken iOS development. Notice how I highlight the words in bold (yep, did it again) because they are very important. And some knowledge of programming, of course.
Who is this NOT for?
People who think they can do this overnight.
What do you need?
- iOS device (or a Mac if you’re chic)
Wait, what is Theos?
Theos, meaning “God” in Greek, is a development platform for iOS software created by DHowett. So if you want to create tweaks, you need Theos to create a template and compile. Theos can be installed on a Mac or any iOS device.
So how do I setup Theos?
Well, it’s up to you. Use your curiosity, your earnest and your patience (which I dearly put in bold above) to do research, to test, to fail, to hit a wall, to get frustrated, and to find that Eureka moment. But you are not alone. Ask around!
- https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreakdevelopers/ : place to ask questions and help each other out among fellow jailbreak developers
- https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/ : place to get in contact with the jailbreak community and look for ideas/requests for tweaks
- Tweakweek : many open source tweaks from famous developers
- GitHub : thousands of open source code that are helpful if you look in the right place. Tip – Type “code extension:xm” (without the quotes) into the search bar search for “code” in files that have “xm” as extension.
- IRC (though I’ve never tried it so far)
Other useful links I have collected: